I’m sorta addicted to blogs right now: to reading them, to writing them, to reading about writing about them. You’d think it was 2004 or something. I’m sometimes a little late to the game. During my nightly blog fix, I ran across this post over on Copyblogger:
10 Steps to Becoming a Better Writer
- Write more.
- Write even more.
- Write even more than that.
- Write when you don’t want to.
- Write when you do.
- Write when you have something to say.
- Write when you don’t.
- Write every day.
- Keep writing.
So that’s what I’m doing. . . I should be sleeping, but I’m gonna write. Maybe one day I’ll get the hang of it.
A few notable thinks happened today:
- Day 1 of New Orleans trip (yesterday’s horrendous travel day doesn’t count): Walked the French Quarter for somewhere interesting to have lunch. Accidentally ended up at the House of Blues instead. Had a douchebag waiter. Douchebag is harsh. How ’bout just flat-out annoying?? He had great cheekbones, though. He even sat down at the table and tried chatting us up for a bit. Weird. In the course of our lunch, he managed to talk about his new God-children (“they’re gonna grow up just like me… skating, surfing, skating), his vegetarianism, getting drunk on Tuesdays, and a “killer” Lebonese restaurant/hookah bar. It was strange at the time, but provided a wealth of laughs later on.
- On the way back to my hotel room, i learned my coworker was on the same floor. As we were trying to find our rooms, I made a number of wrong turns. He said to me (in all seriousness): “I’ve never met anyone as bad at this as I am.” Awesome!
- I’m fairly certain I saw a hooker outside the Ritz-Carlton tonight. Short white skirt, white jacket, big hair. She was getting into a cab, though, so that threw me off. Made me remember how sex-obsessed this town is. I just got back from VEGAS for cripes-sake and didn’t see quite so many ads for sex shops, strip clubs, etc. Strange.
- Ran across this blog by Todd Andrlik, a guy I went to college with. I’m not even remotely surprised that he is one of the top bloggers in the marketing/pr world. He has always been a “techie” kind of guy. And he’s super smart. And a shameless self promoter.It was kinda funny how I found his blog… my colleague was talking about waiterrant, a blog about a waiter in NYC, the author of that blog mentioned that he had made some top blogger list, which also included copyblogger. Over on copyblogger there was a list of top marketing/pr blogs, so naturally I checked those out. It was an AdAge list and the subhead said: “Todd Andrlik ranks the the top media and marketing blogs.” So I hopped over to Todd’s page and sure enough it was the Todd Andrlik I knew. Weird. And it seems that he and the guy who writes Copyblogger are buds. At least blogging buds. Small, weird world. I sent Todd a message. I kinda wish I would’ve made more of a point to be friends w/him in college so maybe he could give me some tips!
- My 24 hours of internet acces were up and I had to re-post this!